Monday, April 18, 2011

Night one...

I have been dealing with a few emotions that I have not wanted to share due to being judged...

When I was pregnant I was the type that "baby in his/her crib or room from day one"...Addison spent the first week with us - Aaron couldn't sleep so she started sleeping in her room. For almost 1.5 months she was in there, on and off...then that horrible gassy/colic period started and she wouldn't sleep anywhere but on me...and that was the only way she would sleep for 2 weeks...and now its just a bad habit...she wants to be with me...I know I taught her that...and for the most part I don't mind sharing my bed with my girl...but lately I have feared I am doing an injustice to her by not teaching her to sleep on her own...so my friend lent me a book - yes, you read that right, I'm reading a parenting book - never thought I would as each child is so different - but I wanted to see what this so called "baby whisperer" has to say.

I read the chapter on sleep and it does make complete sense...recognize the sleep signs she exibtis, do your routine and put her down just as she is going into dream land...easy right? Not really...she wakes 10-20 mins into being in her bed...and her startle reflex is horrible - her arms go out and she startles as she goes down...

We have repeated this once tonight for bedtime and twice for nap times as well...

I feel good about our little routine we have each day...It isn't set in stone - its hard with a breast fed baby - and she seems to be thriving...just not as independent as I would like, some days ;)...

Ill continue this ramble later on...
Megan, Aaron and Addison - Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

2 comments:

  1. I can assure you - ALL the things we THOUGHT were what we were going to do with our kids before we were actually parents and in that place go out the window. No matter how good or 'bad' your kid is, parenthood is NOTHING like we imagined and everything at the same time. Do what's in your heart and if that means making the effort to help her sleep independently - then go for it! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow the EASY routine from the Baby Whisperer... teaching my boys to sleep on their own was by far the best thing I did early on. They are amazing sleepers now, both for naps and at night. I totally recommend it if you're up for it!
    ~ Travelbug :)

    ReplyDelete