Tuesday, April 27, 2010

PRIDE # 5

PRIDE # 5 last night...

The topic was building and strengthening family relationships. Each week there is a different main instructor that leads the class, a foster mom and a wonderful woman who is adopted and has adopted 2 sons. We spent the 1st hour of the class going over what our home study will be like, any questions we had regarding it, and the whole approval process. The foster Mom shared the life books she created for her foster children...I almost cried looking through these life books she created. She and her DH gave these children such a wonderful life, they take trips down south, they have a cottage...she really is an inspiration for these children. It made me happy seeing that she gave these children a happy part of their life.

We also spoke about concerns we have regarding the home study, and one of the leaders brought up their Anxiety disorder. I thought, thank god someone has gone through this; I was worried since I have had anxiety and panic attacks my whole life. I thought that there could be this rude view that I was a "head case" kind of issue, but there isn’t. Since my parents took the steps when I was young to get the help I needed and I continue it on a daily basis in my own life, that shows as a strength because I can see a problem and get help for it, like I would do with my own children. Aaron and I were very happy and relieved to hear that. It was a worry in the back of my head that can be put to rest now :)

We also spoke about starting our profiles; we are sooooo excited about that. A profile is kind of like an "autobiography" of Aaron and I. It would include the following sections:

*About us *Our hobbies/interests *Our views on adoption *Our views on parenting/discipline *ETC...

Since we have to have multiple copies it was suggested using a Photoshop program, or something similar - we may need to print off 25 copies for them to hand out to agencies and they do not want us spending a fortune...I can not wait to start that process...I love doing things like this.
I spoke to the adoptive mother in class and she offered to help us, since she has done this for her family twice and she said to include photos of us camping, our family friends etc. I think Aaron is most excited to put his fishing pictures in there...lol...the adoptive mother said it is amazing what can speak to a birth mother/mother to be in her process of picking us (This would only happen if she was giving away a baby from birth)...I think I will write a letter to the birth parent explaining us and why we would be perfect and what kind of live we can provide for her/his child. Very exciting!!

As this processes gets further along, the more excited we get :)

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! IT must be getting so exciting!

    Love the new pic btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Things are really moving forward - so amazing.

    Hugs.
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you guys, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete